Word of the Nerd is currently looking to expand our contributors, reviewers, and editors. If you are a writer and a passionate, opinionated consumer/lover of pop culture and are interested in joining the site, we’re looking for people to write about various aspects of pop culture including movies, television, literature, comic books, trends, cosplay, gaming, collectibles, etc.
If you feel as though your passion for the genres we cover and skills as a writer would provide a unique addition to the Word of the Nerd team, please continue reading as we’d love to hear from you! We are specifically looking for writers for two distinct (and occasionally combined) roles: news coverage (heavy day-to-day focus on finding and regularly posting news stories) and original content creation (reviews, editorials, and interviews).
These are unpaid/volunteer positions; however, Word of the Nerd writers do enjoy a wide range of benefits and perks, including free advance preview content (early copies of books, comics, etc.) as well interview opportunities for key individuals throughout the industries we’re active in.
If you are a student, we will work with your teacher/professor to see if the work you do for us can be used for course credit.
WE ARE CURRENTLY HIRING FOR
- Editors, under the direction of the Editor-In-Chief and Senior Editor, are responsible for checking submitted articles for spelling, grammar, and proper formatting as directed by site policy. Editors also insert images and SEO into articles and publish through WordPress.
- Applicants must be able to work directly with writers to assist them in preparing their articles for publishing. An extreme attention to detail and an adherence to policy and site guidelines are needed, as well as a passion for the English language.
- Knowledge of WordPress and style manuals (AP, Chicago, etc.) guidelines are desired, as well as knowledge of pop culture including comic books, movies, video games, and more. Applicants must be able to work within a flexible schedule, including some weekend time. Post high-school education in writing and/or editing is preferred.
- Television news writer – Regularly follow, understand, break, and report TV news (also includes industry interview opportunities)
- Television original content writer – Review shows, contribute opinions and ideas through editorials and explore new grounds through interviews with some of the industry’s big and small names
We are looking to expand our coverage of young adult reviews, editorials, interviews, and news, however, is looking to expand our horizons by offering coverage of non-YA fantasy, sci-fi, and horror novels.
- Book reviewer – Regularly read newly published genre literature. You will be asked to review books on a regular basis, as well as contributing editorials/opinion articles and news coverage.
Potential perks include: Word of the Nerd has a vast and ever-growing collection of advanced reader copies of books distributed amongst our staff. Book writers are able to select any book of their choosing to read, for free, months before the book releases. Writers are also regularly offered interview opportunities.
Comics Reviewer/News Writers
We are hiring to fill the following roles:
- Comic News – Do you regularly follow comic book industry news? Does your passion drive you to want to contribute and report your own news? This writer would be required to post news as it happens, often times occurring multiple times per day.
- Independent and small-house reviewer – Indie and small house publishers are making big moves in the industry, showing that big players don’t have all the hits. We are looking for a writer to focus on indie and smaller comic publishers covering news and reviews on a regular basis.
Potential perks include – Access to comic writers and artists for interviews and guest posts. Regular access to advance copies of comics – before they’re released to the public!
Toys & Collectibles Writers
- Writers must be an avid collector of toys, collectible or other similar items. You must be well informed on latest releases and be able to submit frequent reviews of items, cover the latest news and be willing to do unboxing videos and other related content if possible.
Movies Reviewer/News Writer
Word of the Nerd excels in its reviews of the latest box-office hits. However, our team is in dire need of a writer who is able to focus on regular news coverage. This will mean following the latest breaking news and posting on a regular basis (often times multiple posts per day):
- Movie News Writer – Do you regularly follow the movie industry news? Does your passion drive you to want to contribute and report your own news? This writer would be required to post news as it happens, often times occurring multiple times per day.
Gaming Review/News Writer
We’ve only begun to breach the surface with our gaming content here on Word of the Nerd. We are looking for skilled writers to help fill our ranks, providing the best gaming coverage on the net!
- Video game news writer – Regularly follow, understand, break, and report video game news across all console, handheld, and PC platforms as well as post press releases. (also includes industry interview opportunities)
- Tabletop gaming writer – Regularly follow, understand, break and report gaming news that includes tabletop, role-playing and other types of gaming.
- Video game original content writer – Review games (with a large focus on new releases), contribute opinions and ideas through editorials and explore new grounds through interviews with some of the industry’s big and small names
- Two or more individuals to cover the cosplay community, interview cosplayers and potentially act as representatives of Word of the Nerd at conventions and other live events. Knowledge of cosplay or being an active cosplayer is desired.
Word of the Nerd prides itself on our growing list of podcasts. We’ve always looking to expand our content by exploring new show ideas and recruiting interesting and talented hosts/guests for our podcasts.
- Podcast show host – Regularly host/guest-host on new and current podcasts. Must have an interest in podcasts and have knowledge of various topics discussed in the shows. A bubbly, vibrant personality is desired.
- Recording engineer/editor – We are in need of competent and reliable people to monitor recording of podcasts, provide technical assistance, edit and post new shows in a timely manner. Must have experience with Skype and YouTube as well as a working knowledge of audio/video editing software.
Marketing and Advertising
- We are in need of one or two individuals to assist in promoting Word of the Nerd, generate leads for potential advertisers and establish relationships with current advertisers. Work in tandem with the social media coordinator to market and promote the site, manage contests and other related activities. A good head for marketing is desired.
Social Media Coordinator
- One or two individuals who can manage and expand Word of the Nerd’s social media presence on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, and others. Must have knowledge of SEO and social media marketing.
- One or two individuals to coordinate the posting of news articles and press releases. The news director will be personally responsible for assigning news stories to the writers and making sure press releases are posted on a daily basis. A flexible schedule is desired as well as the need to be reliable and organized. Must follow genre, pop culture and other types of news in order to choose what stories are covered by the site.
SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS AND HOW TO APPLY
- Staff writers will write 2 to 3 articles a week on various subjects of interest. Comic books, genre television ( The Flash, Legion, Rick and Morty, Wynonna Earp, etc.), movies, cosplay, video games, tabletop games, etc.
- Writers will be responsible for coming up with ideas for original content as well as being assigned article ideas.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Keeping updated on current pop culture trends, news, and other related media.
- Using WordPress to compose and submit articles.
- Posting and sharing on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Word of the Nerd only employs writers above the age of 18
- You must be an avid consumer of comics, fantasy, sci-fi, horror and gaming materials
- You must be able to contribute to the website on a regular basis. News writers will be required to contribute three times a week, whereas original content creators will be asked to contribute at least twice a week
- Passion for sharing news and reviews with like-minded individuals and the ability to discover news on your own
- Knowledge of sharing website content on various social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, etc.
- A habit of browsing your favorite news resources for breaking news on a regular basis
- You must be a skilled writer
Bonus Skills (not required but definitely appreciated)
- Experience blogging and reviewing for other websites (not necessarily of the same types or genres)
- Experience working within the industries that we cover (examples: publishing industry, movie production, game development, etc)
- Experience with WordPress
- Currently attending or have graduated school for writing, journalism, etc.
If interested in applying, please fill out the form below.