A science fiction author types into a chat room. She says, “Hi, book-reviewer and fan-type person, will you take a look at my nonfiction-ish biography-like new release?” Because it was Gini Koch, best-selling author of the Alien/Katherine “Kitty” Katt series, I replied, “Squeee!” And, lucky you – you get to hear all about Gini, why her fans love her sarcasm and snark, a few of the thought-gasms in the book, and where some of the inspiration for her famous series originated. So, on to RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE FUNNY GIRL: OR HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER.
* * * * * * * * *
I laughed. I laughed until I snorted soda pop out my nose, and my cats ran for cover. I cried. Tears of mirth rolled down my face, as I gasped for breath like a landed fish. I begged. I begged for mercy, but I was only on the first section of the book – and then I knew I wouldn’t stop until I hit that last page. I just wouldn’t. Talk about an enforced abs workout and being “glutton for punishment.” It ought to be illegal. It probably is. I no longer care.
Some of the humor is the obvious sort – sarcasm and snark. Who doesn’t know someone like Kiki, the K-9 and hamster drug dealer; she’s also a YouTube porn star and stair-surfer! Trust me, you’ve met her, one way or another.
The witty variety is also represented. Most of it, you could even tell your mom. There’s “Feng Shui” v. “fur chway.” The tongue-in-cheek “Writer’s Prayer” is a variant on words I’ve spoken in all seriousness plenty of times. Gini’s graciously thrown in a handful of contest entries with holiday themes as J. C. Koch, and they range from funny-bad to funny-hilarious. Don’t even get me started on Gini and taxes. No. Nadda.
Want “Nerdy”? Gotcha covered! How about the “League of Zoolander”? Two movie reviews and thoughts of going to mars in a “Space Winnebago”? Cats? ‘Cause you can’t be a nerd without a cat; it’s the rules.
Are you easily offended? STOP! Stop. Right. Now. Gini is an equal-opportunity pisser-offer. My more conservative retitling of her articles in this collection could read “How to Get Rid of Jehovah’s Witnesses 101” and “Political Singers and Bigoted Celebs.” Then, there are two with very accurate titles – “Bless Your Heart” and “Theater for the Blind.” Nothing is sacred in this book…except laughter.
So, where is the Gini Koch we know and love from her Alien/Katherine “Kitty” Katt and other SF series? Oh, she’s in here. Did you not see the words “sarcasm” and “snark”? It’s only, Gini spent a lot of her youth corrupting the innocent and has this ongoing arsonist gig-thing happening… She’s got a lot to write about beyond SF. But you’ll get to see from whom the inspiration for Jeff Martini came, and, if you read between a few lines, from where much of the Alien series arose (including their zoo).
Here’s my list of “to-knows” before buying:
* This book is 90% nonfiction-ish. Names and places have been changed, but it’s a Gini humor-bio-opinion-work, kinda. But, it’s also not in chronological order, which, I might add, is very Gini.
* Don’t be easily-offended. Gini doesn’t drop four-letter words much, but her topics often stray into dangerous territory. That’s politics, religion, and sex, to those of you with raised eyebrows. Don’t forget her liberal use of sarcasm and snark either.
* Many articles in this collection are reprints. Gini’s been around the block a few times. In this nonfiction-ish book, most of the pieces claim to come from blogs or zines.
* Beware the editing. No, it’s not as bad as the free Kindles, but there are a few instances of transposed letters and “a” or “the” left out in front of a noun.
* Don’t eat/drink while reading. This book is a choking hazard. You have been warned! Now, buy it and laugh!
Gini Koch writes the fast, fresh, and funny Alien/Katherine “Kitty” Katt series, as well as lots of others. She’s made the most of multiple personality disorder by writing under a variety of pen names, including G.J. Koch, Anita Ensal, Jemma Chase, A.E. Stanton, and J.C. Koch. Buy her books — her meds don’t come free, you know.
Pub. Date: February 28, 2014