Magic: The Gathering’s 25th Anniversary Celebration
This year Gen Con, Magic: The Gathering celebrates it’s 25th anniversary at the convention that it made its international debut back in 1993, with a host of planned events, tournaments, and surprises.
Wizards of the Coast, who gifted us with Dungeons & Dragons and other fantasy games in both tabletop and digital format, are planning hundreds of events commemorating the 25th anniversary of the original tradeable card game, including Learn-to-Play programming, competitive drafts, and signature offerings.
“We are thrilled to see Magic’s exciting plans for 2018… 25 years ago, Magic’s debut at Gen Con changed the course of gaming history, and we’re eager to see not only what they have planned for this year, but for the next 25 years of Magic: The Gathering.”
– David Hoppe, Gen Con President
Magic: The Events
Here are a few highlights of the events that Wizards of the Coast is hosting:
- Magic’s 25th Birthday Championship consists of eight qualifier events taking place over the weekend and is open to all attendees. It culminates in a Sunday eight-player event which will feature Beta boosters from Magic’s first year of existence.
- A Magic: The Gathering Panel with the creators and members of Magic’s R&D team. Attendees can learn about Magic’s history and glimpse its future. There will be a Q&A session with the guests afterwards.
- Multi-Player Events will include Battlebond 2HG, Wizards Tower, Trios, and Grand Melee.
- Constructed Events where players will compete for prizes at Standard, Modern, Legacy, and Vintage events.
- On-Demand Programming with around-the-clock Magic, including Core 2019 Drafts, Chaos Drafts, 2HG Drafts, Commander play, and TURBO TOWN events.
- And more surprises all weekend, Weekend-Long Surprises- The Wizards of the Coast team will have some surprises in store all-weekend, and gamers should keep on the lookout for giveaways on social media, around the convention center, and in Magic’s play areas.
Magic: The Worldwide Phenomenon
Over the past 25 years, Magic: The Gathering has become a worldwide phenomenon. With more than 100 booster releases, printings in eleven languages, and more than 20,000 unique cards. This special celebration is sure to attract generations of fans, from current players to those who want to experience the nostalgia of the game they have loved over the years.
Gen Con takes place from August 2-5, 2018 in Indianapolis. As the largest consumer hobby, fantasy, science fiction, and adventure game convention in North America, Gen Con lives up to its title of The Best Four Days in Gaming!™.